Are you one of the many motorists that frequently cross the Marcos Highway Bridge when getting to and from work? We have some bad news for you as rehabilitation works on the bridge will officially begin this weekend.
After several delays, the temporary closure of the eastbound lane of the Marcos Highway Bridge will push through this Saturday. That's right, come May 25, 2019 at 11:00 PM, the MMDA will be closing the eastbound portion for four months in order for repair works to start on the 40-year old bridge.
“After two weeks of preparations, it is definite now. Marcos Bridge will be closed for the next four months to give way to its long-overdue rehabilitation,” said Jojo Garcia, MMDA General Manager.
With the eastbound lane set to be closed, all vehicles bound for Antipolo are advised to take the westbound lane of the bridge. Meawnhile, vehicles that are headed to Cubao may use the service road in front of SM City Marikina.
Originally, the eastbound direction of the bridge was set to be closed to the public last May 4. However, it was moved to May 11 when the private contractor failed to make the final preparations. When they couldn't make the May 11 deadline, the MMDA opted to delay the closing of the bridge until further notice.
“Private contractors are now ready to push through with the rehabilitation after complying with the necessary requirements they need to address,” added Garcia.
After the eastbound lane repairs are complete, the contractor will then close the westbound direction for another four months in order to complete the eight-month long rehabilitation project.
Motorists and truck drivers are advised to take the following routes should they want to avoid crossing Marcos Highway Bridge.
Cubao to Antipolo Route:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
2. From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road, straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route:
1. From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue, take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
Antipolo to Cubao Routes:
1. From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
2. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao.
3. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take down tamp to Marcos Bridge service road then FVR road, straight ahead right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Boulevard, straight ahead to Cubao
4. From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao
Trucks from Antipolo to Cubao Route:
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao